Friday, March 13, 2015

Today's Crap

I live on a wooded, one acre lot at the end of a dead end road that looks like the entrance to the bat cave on the old Batman TV show.  I don't get a lot of random visitors.  In the 20 years I have lived in this house, I have never had more than one trick or treater on Halloween, and I had to wait for my neighbor to have a kid to even get that one.

Perhaps it's the remoteness of my doorstep, or my general recalcitrant disposition to strangers intruding on my privacy, but I fucking can't stand door-to-door solicitors.  Whether it's the exploited young adults selling magazine subscriptions, the politicians selling hot air or the clipboard and pamphlet carrying cause related folks, by the time they walk down my long driveway, up my walk and knock on my door (after trying the broken doorbell), I'm usually not the most receptive host.

Yesterday afternoon, I received a visit from what appeared to be a cause related pair (they had buttons, pamphlets and clipboards).  This was how our conversation went:

Them:  Hello
Me:  Hi... we prefer not to do business with door to door solicitors.
Them:  We're not soliciting  (they always say that and it annoys me)
Me:  But you're on my doorstep... (I look down at her clipboard and try to read their buttons) and I didn't invite you on my property.
Them:  We just wanted to talk to you for a minute...
Me:  If you have something to share, please send me a letter or make an appointment.
Them (actually her - the pushy one):  We prefer old fashioned face to face.
Me:  Putting a stamp on a letter is pretty old fashioned

At this point, they get the hint and step off my stoop.

Me:  Have a nice day (sincerely)
Her:  (walking away) Ha!

Someday, I want to compare notes with my neighbors (there are two others houses on the road) about how they deal with solicitors.  I am eager to find out if they complain about the "grouch at the end of the road."  I hope they do.

Lisa, my wife, is a much softer touch.... bad luck for them they got stuck with me.  

...Interesting link of the day:

This chart/map uses Google search data to determine what cost each state is obsessed with.  In CT where I live, it's prostitutes.  Everything is expensive in CT.  

...Cat pic of the day:
 
Tutt at the Vet



No comments: